Reference # 39170
Location: New York, NY
Job Title: Design Director
Type of Opportunity: Fulltime
Our client, an integrated design firm, providing branding, product and service experiences is seeking a Visual Design Director.
The visual design team all have a passionate attention to craft detail and an appreciation of modern functional design with a strong aesthetic sense to create communication solutions that deliver design excellence.
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates graphic design thinking and core craft skills across a variety of client categories and design formats & methodologies, e.g. brand identity systems, print, illustration, motion design, digital interface design for products, websites, mobile, tablet and TV.
- 6-8 years prior work experience in a related role with at least 1 year of management experience
- Solid formal academic background in Graphic Design, Digital Media Design, Communication Design, or commensurate work experience; advanced degree a plus
- Eloquent verbal/written communication & presentation skills, with the ability to successfully articulate design concepts to your team and your client
- Effective time management skills to balance project schedule with fast-paced deadlines
- Enthusiasm for the digital design industry & technology at large.
- Ability to understand business strategies, user research, market context
- Ability to interpret, translate and extend existing brand, product and service guidelines in the context of developing new experiences
- Experience planning and hosting collaborative workshops and work sessions with internal and external teams
- Ability to conduct market research and brand, product, service audits focused on the visual design systems and their application to corporate, service and product identities
- Ability to contribute to strategic content for brand, service and product propositions working with strategy, interaction and technology team members
- Ability to create visual language concepts, mood definition, behaviors, early design routes and presentation materials that articulate strategic design intent.
Design and technical skills:
- Formal design knowledge and high quality craft skills with attention to detail and ability to deliver effective and functional design artifacts as they pertain to project requirements
- Ability to think strategically and translate brand, service and product requirements into holistic systems that effectively communicate
- Strong ability to think visually and collaborate seamlessly with Interaction Designers it pertains to interaction, behavior, & style discussions
- Strong ability to think technically and collaborate seamlessly with Technologists as it pertains to understanding the benefits, possibilities and constraints of common coding languages and platforms; actual coding experience a plus
- An understanding of Brand, Product and Service development process and ability to transform strategic direction into high quality design artifacts from total systems to individual elements
- An understanding of lean design processes for digital, print, motion, physical a plus
- An understanding of iterative prototyping as an essential part of the design process
- Fluency with common design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote) for the creation of visual design artifacts and presentations.
- Up-to-date knowledge of design principles, best practices and emerging technologies
- Interest and participation in professional industry groups, conferences, speaking engagements, publications or teaching
- Experience with new business development and growing business with existing clients
- Ability to lead the design vision throughout the duration of the client engagement ensuring
- Ability to scope and manage projects through all phases, from kick-off through delivery
- Experience managing less senior visual designers (and other design disciplines/cross-department staff) on projects
Salary $120-140K DOE
Job Reference # 39170