If you touch a computer, you have the work of app Developers at your fingertips. An Application Developer makes the software behind our daily digital activities, whether it’s a phone app, a game, or a website. These talented professionals write the codes that power our digital products and run some of the tools we use every day. Their goal is to create software applications that are so seamless and well written that the product weasels its way into your daily life and becomes something you can’t live without.
With software playing such a dominant role in today’s society, App Developers are behind everything from the scheduling systems that book your flights to the car you drive to work. There’s software in your fridge and smart TV, not to mention the program behind your Siri or Alexa device. All of these things are designed by the Application Developer that created the computer code to make these devices work.
As you might imagine, App Developers are in high demand right now.
Application (App) Developer Skills Needed
App Developers work with the end user or other stakeholders to create the interactions between human and computer via a software application. They use programming languages and source code, operating systems, and application programming interfaces to make software products.
Some of their daily tasks include:
- Mapping out how the software will function and interact with end users
- Staring at a computer screen and writing code line by line
- Solving problems through the use of programming languages
- Developing prototype applications
- Coordinating their progress with the stakeholder
- Testing the product
- Documenting how the product was built and how it is supposed to function
- Using a methodology, such as Agile, to complete all of the tasks necessary to get the software to work properly
- Troubleshooting broken applications
- Learning new programming techniques
Good App Developers can’t just be computer geeks. They also need to be able to communicate with whoever is ordering the software, whether it’s an update to an existing product or something completely new. Understanding the goal of the product and then being able to map out the features of the software are very important skills. App developers must also understand how the product interacts with other programs. All of this requires considerable acumen in the computer science field.
The App Developer is the person that tells the computer how to behave. They do this by writing code in a computer language that builds the application.
Think about it this way:; every button you click on a computer or smartphone screen was programmed to react to that click in a certain way. That’s the work of an App Developer.
First and foremost, the App Developer must be a Programmer. They must solve problems elegantly via lines of computer code.
Some of the skills needed for this role include:
- A love of all things tech; from the latest in artificial intelligence, to upgrades to software and hardware, the App Developer must eat, sleep, and breathe technology
- A real thirst for knowledge because Programmers must stay ahead of the latest software trends — the best are always learning
- Expertise in whatever software, hardware, or combination of both, is required to get the job done, whether it’s old-school Oracle or the .net framework
- Strong technical aptitude; is a tinkerer with technology and equipment
- Able to work both individually and with a team
- Able to discuss complex computer problems with the layperson
- Great organizational skills
- Very analytical with a strong attention to detail
- Patience that allows them to continue to try to fix broken code again and again until it works seamlessly
- An understanding of unit and integration testing
- Great at troubleshooting
- Team player able to work well with others, including designers, analysts, or clients
- Strong mathematics skills
- Good time-management skills
- Good communication skills
- Creative and able to solve problems in innovative ways
- Good customer service skills
- Able to learn and retain things quickly
Some Programmers are “full stack,” which means that they can work on all areas of the software application: at the front-end on design; the middle on the connectors to other software programs; or the back-end where the database lies. Other App Developers specialize in one or two of those areas. They may prefer just to design on the front end or work in databases on the back end. No matter their preference, there is a place for them in the job market.
Application Developers are some of the most highly sought-after professionals on the market today.
Suggested Software Proficiency
Some App Developers are more experienced in one type of product, like phone apps or websites. Each App Developer specializes in a handful of languages, frameworks, and databases that fit the software they build or maintain. No matter where they specialize, they must learn specific programming languages and environments for their selected area of expertise.
For example, if the App Developer specializes in mobile products, they probably know one of the following languages:
But if the App Developer wants to specialize in websites, they should probably know:
These pros may also need to know testing software and Agile or another methodology that governs the production of the app. Their software proficiency depends upon their area of expertise.
Find Your Application (App) Developer Here
Artisan Talent can help you find the perfect Application (App) Developer. Contact us to discuss how Artisan’s creative employment agency can help find you an expert to create your dream app (click here to hire talent).
If you’re an App Developer looking for your next opportunity, we should talk. View our creative employment agency’s list of available opportunities or submit your resume (click here to find jobs).