Photo: General Assembly
Creating a great user experience for your software is critical to keeping your customers happy. No matter how useful your application may be, if the design is frustrating or confusing, no one will want to use it. Hiring an experienced UX designer as early as possible during the development of your project is a good idea. But, what should you look for when you are interviewing candidates for the position?
The 7 Traits of a Successful UX Designer
A great UX designer is:
- A capable visual designer. UX design is as much as an art as it is a science. Hire someone who has a great idea of what looks great, and appeals to your target customer base. UX designers need to be experts at using a variety of design tools.
- Aware of current user experience design trends, but capable of choosing the right approach to UX for your project.
- Understanding of the needs of your target customers. The deeper the insights a UX designer has to motivation, goals, and the way future users will use the software, the easier it is to create a great user experience. Hiring someone who has worked on other projects in your industry is a real asset.
- A genius at gathering, analyzing, and utilizing feedback from users on their experiences with the software. A good UX designer is able to conduct usability tests, and run focus groups to assist him with creating a better UX.
- Knowledgeable about technology. Although UX designers don’t have to get their hands dirty with coding, it makes everyone’s job easier if the UX designer has a basic understanding of the technology required for the project to avoid designing a UX which is not practical to implement.
- Able to work independently, but still play nice with others. Most UX designers work alone, but they still need to communicate effectively with others, and be willing to accept criticism without becoming upset.
- A passionate professional who can balance her boundless creativity, with the requirements of working in a business environment.
Do you want to learn more about what makes a good UX designer? We can help! Contact us to find out how you can hire the best UX designer for your project.
More Posts You Might Like: